Don’t Let Ice Melt Ruin Your Surfaces
The season of freezing rain and snow is coming and your building will face the impact of ice melt. Prioritizing the safety of tenants and visitors to prevent slips and falls is crucial. Equally important is safeguarding your surfaces from potential damage caused by ice melt to prevent significant damage. Protecting surfaces from ice melt typically involves using preventive measures and applying suitable products.
Seven practical approaches to protect surfaces from the damaging effects of ice melt:
- Sealing Surfaces: Before winter, apply a sealant to surfaces like concrete, asphalt, or stone. This creates a protective barrier that reduces the penetration of ice melt and prevents it from seeping into the pores of the material.
- Prompt Cleanup: Remove ice melt residue promptly after the ice has melted to prevent prolonged contact with surfaces, thereby reducing the potential for damage.
- Protective Mats or Tarps: Place protective mats or tarps on sensitive surfaces such as wooden decks or entryways. These barriers can help minimize direct contact with ice melt and reduce the risk of damage.
- Regular Cleaning: Regularly clean and maintain surfaces to remove any accumulated salt or ice melt residue. This is especially important for areas with heavy foot traffic or where vehicles are parked.
- Elevated Surfaces: For elevated surfaces like balconies, consider using protective coverings or elevated platforms to minimize direct exposure to ice melt.
- Proper Drainage: Ensure that drainage systems are functioning properly to prevent water and ice melt from pooling on surfaces. Proper drainage helps minimize prolonged exposure to these substances.
- Regular Inspections: Regularly inspect surfaces for signs of damage or wear caused by ice melt. Early identification allows for prompt repairs and maintenance.
Protecting surfaces from ice melt has many advantages. Should you notice stains or damage resulting from ice melt on any of your surfaces, reach out to KCR for a complimentary consultation. We are here to assist in finding the right solution for Kansas City properties!